The Macronutrient Calculator helps you determine how much protein, fat and carbohydrates you should be eating based on the amount of calories you eat per day.
Benefits of Protein for the Body
- It is a component of every cell in your body. In fact, hair and nails are mostly made of protein.
- Your body uses it to build and repair tissue.
- You need it to make enzymes, hormones, and other body chemicals.
- It is an important building block of bones, muscles, cartilage, skin, and blood.
Unlike carbohydrates and fat, your body does not store protein, so it has no storage bank to draw from when you’re running low. Protein bars and protein shakes are a great way to supplement your diet to ensure you’re getting enough protein.
Good sources of protein are meat, milk, fish, soy, and eggs, as well as beans, legumes, and nut butters.
Benefits of Fat for the Body
- Makes up the outer layer of all the cells in your body.
- Omega-3 fatty acids help turn on genes that help to burn fat and turns of genes that store fat.
- Supports thyroid function.
- More filling than carbohydrates and protein.
Make sure to only eat "good fats," which include fat from fish, avocado, olives, nuts and vegetable based oils. "Bad fats" should be avoided and include saturated fats and trans fats. These fats are most found in cakes, pastries, cookies, processed and fast foods.
Benefits of Carbohydrates for the Body
- First source of energy for the brain.
- Provides energy to the rest of the body.
- Filled with fiber
- Help prevent constipation, heart disease and obesity
Include healthy sources of carbohydrates such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.